Thanks to the pandemic and self-isolation, tablets have made their way into consumers’ lives again. The surge in demand for them forced to return to their release even those who seemed to give up the idea of creating tablet PCs, in particular, the speech is about Xiaomi, which delayed the release of the fifth generation of Mi Pad. After a rather long pause, the company announced the Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 in three versions at once, and all received stylus support.
The company has tried not only in terms of the hardware, but also the software. The MIUI shell has been adapted to work on tablets and the company emphasizes that it borrowed a number of features implemented in the interface of the Mi Mix Fold.
But the overall concept hasn’t changed – Xiaomi is positioning the Mi Pad 5 and Mi Pad 5 Pro as affordable tablets for learning work and play. To a certain extent, they can suit creative people and replace a laptop. In many ways, the new items are similar, with the exception of the hardware platform, battery capacity, charging speed and cameras.
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
The base Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 is equipped with an 11-inch display with a resolution of 2560×1600 pixels with a refresh rate of 120 Hz, a Snapdragon 860 platform in conjunction with 6 GB of RAM and 128/256 GB of storage. The battery capacity is 8720 mAh and there is a 33 W fast charge. The main camera received a couple of 13 Mp + 8 Mp sensors.
Regarding the Pro version, in terms of performance, the Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 Pro looks a little preferable. The choice fell on a system based on the Snapdragon 870 chip. The tablet has 6/8 GB of RAM, 128/256 GB of memory and an 8600 mAh battery. The lower capacity of the battery was compensated for by charging with a power of 67W. The main camera in Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 Pro is dual with 13 MP and 5 MP sensors, and for the 5G version, the company is generous with the installation of a 50 MP sensor as the main one on the backside.
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 is presented in two versions with 6/128 GB and 6/256 GB of memory for $ 308 and $ 355 respectively. The Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 Pro offers similar versions, but the prices are slightly higher: $ 385 and $ 432, respectively. Xiaomi Mi Pad M5 Pro with 5G support is only available with 8/256 GB of memory; and they asked $ 540 for it.
The keyboard case and stylus costs $ 61.5 and $ 54, respectively. These are available to order and will go on sale in China starting from August 16th.
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 and Mi Pad 5 Pro specifications
- 11-inch (2560 x 1600) WQXGA 16:10 display with 120Hz refresh rate, 240Hz touch sampling rate, HDR 10; Dolby Vision, TrueTone True color display, Hardware-level blue light reduction, TUV Rheinland low blue light hardware scheme certification
- Mi Pad 5 – Up to 2.96GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 860 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 640 GPU
- Mi Pad 5 Pro – Octa Core (1 x 3.2GHz + 3 x 2.42GHz + 4 x 1.8GHz Hexa) Snapdragon 870 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 650 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4X (LPDDR5 in Pro) RAM with 128GB / 256GB UFS 3.1 storage; 8GB RAM LPDDR5 with 256GB UFS 3.1 storage (Mi Pad 5 Pro 5G)
- Android 11 with MIUI 12.5
- 13MP (50MP 1/2.5″ sensor in Mi Pad 5 Pro 5G) rear camera; 5MP depth sensor (Mi Pad 5 Pro only), 4K video recording
- 8MP front-facing camera
- Mi Pad 5 Dimensions: 254.69x 166.25mmx6.85mm; Weight: 511g
- Mi Pad 5 Pro Dimensions: 254.69x 166.25×6.86mm; Weight: 515g / 518g (Mi Pad 5 Pro 5G)
- USB Type-C audio, Dolby Atmos, 4 Speakers in Mi Pad 5, 8 Speakers in Mi Pad 5 Pro
- 5G SA / NSA, 4G LTE (Optional), Wi-Fi 802.11 ac / ax (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.0 (5.2 in Pro); GPS / GLONASS / BeiDou / GALILEO / QZSS, USB Type-C
- Mi Pad 5 – 8,720mAh battery with 33W fast charging for 0 to 100% in 91 min
- Mi Pad 5 Pro – 8,600mAh battery with 67W fast charging for 0 to 100% in 67 min